Underwriting Director – Commercial Real Estate Banking
JP Morgan Chase
JPMorgan Chase & Co. (NYSE: JPM) is a leading global financial services firm with operations worldwide. The firm is a leader in investment banking, financial services for consumers and small business, commercial banking, financial transaction processing, and asset management. A component of the Dow Jones Industrial Average, JPMorgan Chase & Co. serves millions of consumers in the United States and many of the world's most prominent corporate, institutional and government clients under its J.P. Morgan and Chase brands. Information about JPMorgan Chase & Co. is available at
Our Firmwide Risk Function
Our Firmwide Risk function is focused on cultivating a stronger, unified culture that embraces a sense of personal accountability for developing the highest corporate standards in governance and controls across the firm. Business priorities are built around the need to strengthen and guard the firm from the many risks we face, financial rigor, risk discipline, fostering a transparent culture and doing the right thing in every situation. We are equally focused on nurturing talent, respecting the diverse experiences that our team of Risk professionals bring and embracing an inclusive environment.
The position is for a contributing member of the deal team who will manage a portfolio of commercial real estate credits/relationships in a fast-paced, regulated environment. The role is a hybrid of both client-facing responsibilities (as the candidates will negotiate directly with clients on the bank’s behalf) and leading the internal risk management process. The candidate must have a strong working knowledge of the commercial real estate industry, banking rules and regulations, and have had prior experience of transacting and administering construction loans and real estate term loans. Candidates must be experienced, independent, and qualified credit professionals with the ability to manage a number of dynamic credit situations, as well as act as a leader to efficiently utilize team resources and provide accurate, timely results.
· Evaluating new loan and other credit opportunities; identifying strengths and weaknesses of proposed transactions
· Structuring the most complex loans and coordinating the credit approval process in conjunction with Underwriters, Client Executives and Credit Executives
· Negotiating term sheets, loan documentation and the real estate closing process
· Presenting to senior management proposed loan transactions; confidently exercise authority while clearly articulating the reasoning behind credit decisions
· Contributing to the development and execution of client strategies in collaboration with Client Executives
· Reviewing Investment Committee Memorandums, Credit Approval Packages and Risk Rating recommendations
· Implementing credit policies and conducting periodic credit reviews
· Monitoring risk grades and loan compliance as well as compliance with banking rules and regulations
· Reviewing and approving monthly construction loan draws
· Assisting with training and development of junior staff members and in some cases managing staff where applicable
The final officer title and job grade is at the discretion of the firm and will be discussed at the time of offer. It may be different than what is listed on the requisition based on candidate experience level.
Not ready to apply? Leave your information with us and we will keep you up to date with new career opportunities.
Sign in to our application system to continue your job search.
Current employees sign in here.
You can also apply using your LinkedIn® profile. It may save you some time because your information will be automatically transferred into our system. Just click on the LinkedIn logo when you get to the application screen and follow the directions.
During the application process, be sure you have an up-to-date copy of your Résumé, your cover letter and any other documentation you would like to submit.