CIB - Investor Services - Project Manager - Vice President
Req #: 180020301
Job Category: Project Management
About J.P. Morgan:
J.P. Morgan’s Corporate & Investment Bank is a global leader across banking, markets and investor services. The world’s most important corporations, governments and institutions entrust us with their business in more than 100 countries. With over $20 trillion of assets under custody and $400 billion in deposits, the Corporate & Investment Bank provides strategic advice, raises capital, manages risk and extends liquidity in markets around the world. Further information about J.P. Morgan is available at http://www.jpmorgan.com/.
The Custody & Funds Services (C&FS) business in Australia continues to invest heavily in its platform with a focus on three key pillars:
Build out of the local accounting and tax platform to deliver greater precision and granularity within the core record
Integration of the accounting platform with global surround technology to get the best from J.P. Morgan’s global input utilities and downstream reporting and product capabilities, at the same time retiring local technology and processes
Significant enhancements to operational efficiency and control through investment in automation, workflow tools and using core technology to drive out user defined tools and manual processes
The investment program itself is organized in functional groupings, aligned to J.P. Morgan’s global Product Development setup across Inbound functions (eg. Instruction capture, Data Management), Core Processing (eg. Accounting & Tax) and Outbound functions (e.g. Client Reporting & Data Provision, Investment Analytics).
Take responsibility for specific projects within the overall program, managing the execution of each project within the overall functional roadmap. Supporting the project manager will be teams of business analysts, developers, testers and operations subject matter experts. Whilst not necessarily managing these individuals directly, the project manager will be ultimately responsible for the delivery of each project and therefore the leadership of the execution team.
Key Accountabilities/Major Responsibilities:
Global functional alignment:
- Each C&FS function is headed globally by a Product, Ops and Technology Leadership (POTL) group who set the direction, agenda, scope and milestones for each function
- As a senior project manager in Australia, you must work with the Program Manager to ensure full integration and partnership with your global C&FS functional leads. This means a clear ongoing understanding of your function’s global scope, roadmap and key milestones for the year, plus a regular handshake to ensure the Australian requirements and scope items are well understood and appropriately prioritized.
- Accountability to project sponsors and POTL leads both local and global for schedule, budget, and quality of all program elements across relevant functions
- Own and drive execution of all assigned projects from initiation to completion
- Manage the team through daily risks, issues and blockers
- Act as the point of escalation and communications conduit to executive sponsors / program steering committee for your POTL functions, and conduct periodic briefings/status updates
- Escalate decisions to executive sponsors or Product Development head as necessary.
- Manage project pod or virtual team, consisting of Product Development business analysts, as well as Operations and Technology staff that you will not have management responsibility for
- Align the various teams/team member expectations and deliverables to the needs of the relevant project
- Manage overall project resources to meet project milestones
Relationships, Communication and Teamwork:
- Maintain effective working relationships with direct manager, business owner/sponsor, Project Team/Pod, global functional counterparts, senior management onshore and offshore and other key business stakeholders throughout Custody & Fund Services.
- Ensure effective and regular communication with Manager, Project, Tech & Ops counterparts locally and globally, through various forums including Project Board, Project Steering Committees and showcases, and clear status reporting.
Navigating the Organisation:
- Most key projects will span across many aspects of the CIB (and J.P. Morgan) organisations – both onshore and offshore. Ensuring coordination across the various teams including Operations, Technology, Sales & Relationship Management, Product and Client Service is critical.
- Very strong experience in project related roles within the financial services industry (preferably with Agile/Scrum methodology)
- Clear understanding of superannuation & investment management middle-office and back-office activities, with a strong view of client needs in the Australia & New Zealand market a key advantage
- Effective team player with proven leadership capability across large and complex programs of work
- Ability to manoeuvre within a matrix organisation to achieve project objectives
- Highly motivated with a positive ‘can do’ attitude – adaptable, versatile and able to manage ambiguity
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build networks across all levels/areas of the business
- Well developed problem solving capability – drive issues through to resolution
- Proactive in identifying and implementing change improvements – champion of change
- Working knowledge of MS Office suite and other key project management tools
- Bachelor Degree, with Project Management certification an advantage