The position is Senior Underwriter on the Technology Corporate Client Banking team. This group is responsible for managing J.P. Morgan’s relationships with a portfolio of U.S. based semiconductor, hardware and systems, software, IT services, and internet and digital media industry clients. These companies are active users of traditional corporate banking services and investment banking products. The work environment is dynamic and fast-paced, a reflection of the industry and clients the team supports.
The Senior Underwriter is the primary credit risk manager for a portfolio of corporate banking clients and transactions in the technology industry. In this capacity, the Senior Underwriter works in partnership with coverage banking officers, product specialists, and other partners to risk grade borrowers, analyze and approve credit requests, structure credit facilities, and negotiate credit agreements and other loan documentation. The Senior Underwriter is also responsible for on-going monitoring and risk management of an assigned portfolio of credit clients.
To be successful, this individual needs a broad and deep understanding of the business, financial, competitive, and industry risks faced by clients in the assigned portfolio; expertise in structuring commercial loan transactions and managing all types of credit risk; and a comprehensive knowledge of corporate finance principles.
The majority of this portfolio is located in [the eastern U.S.] [the western U.S.]. Domestic travel is required from time to time.
1. Risk Assessment
· Identify the key risk factors associated with clients, transactions, and industry sub-sectors across an assigned portfolio
· Develop and articulate a dynamic, forward-looking risk assessment of client companies, transactions, competitive threats, and industry and other factors
· Lead and/or participate in client due diligence and transaction negotiations
· Attend client, bank, and other meetings to develop a thorough understanding of client companies, management teams, and industry sectors
· Use financial models to develop a forward-looking credit risk assessment based on key value drivers and sensitized assumptions
· Recommend and approve appropriate credit structures relative to risk assessment and policy considerations
2. Credit Approval Process
· Apply corporate finance and accounting expertise to develop appropriate financing structures
· Prepare credit approval materials, ensure all credit risk policies are followed, and present and recommend credits for approval at the appropriate level
· Analyze and negotiate financing terms and conditions as part of a deal team
· Review and negotiate legal documentation to ensure terms are appropriate and consistent with credit approval
3. Portfolio Management
· Provide a well-researched and thoughtful risk assessment of each assigned client on an ongoing basis
· Ensure risk ratings are accurate and reflect a current forward-looking view of the client
· Provide early identification and proactive management of deteriorating credits and other problem situations
· Analyze, prepare, and present for approval all required waivers, amendments, and extensions
· Prepare and present semi-annual portfolio review material to senior management
· Work with bank examiners and internal credit reviewers to validate credit quality and integrity of the credit process
· Work closely with Credit Support Specialists to ensure accuracy of credit system data
· Assist Credit Risk Executive in training and developing junior underwriters
Not ready to apply? Leave your information with us and we will keep you up to date with new career opportunities.
Sign in to our application system to continue your job search.
Current employees sign in here.
You can also apply using your LinkedIn® profile. It may save you some time because your information will be automatically transferred into our system. Just click on the LinkedIn logo when you get to the application screen and follow the directions.
During the application process, be sure you have an up-to-date copy of your Résumé, your cover letter and any other documentation you would like to submit.