JPMorgan Chase & Co. (NYSE: JPM) is a leading global financial services firm with assets of $2 trillion and operations in more than 60 countries. The firm is a leader in investment banking, financial services for consumers, small business and commercial banking, financial transaction processing, asset management, and private equity.
Global Technology Infrastructure (GTI) is the technology infrastructure organization for the firm, delivering a wide range of products and services, and partnering with all lines of business to provide high quality service delivery, exceptional project execution and financially disciplined approaches and processes in the most cost effective manner. The objective of GTI is to balance both business alignment and the centralized delivery of core products and services. GTI is designed to address the unique infrastructure needs of specific lines of business and the demand to leverage economies of scale across the firm.
Integrated Compute Services (ICS) within JPMorgan Chase’s Global Technology Infrastructure group develops and operates one of the world’s largest enterprise compute environments providing compute, storage and hosting platforms. The massive scale supports a diversity of business applications to one of the largest banking institutions in the US.
The ICS service is the foundation that other Services will build on top of. The shift to a services based thinking will require implementing the Software Defined Datacenter to enable speed, scale and flexibility to meet the changing business needs. The goals are to abstract, virtualize and orchestrate the end to end process of delivering IT capabilities to the firm.
As a Virtualization Engineering Lead in the engineering team, you will be expected to possess deep knowledge of, and experience with, virtualization and automation products and underlying networking, storage and compute technologies. You will be asked to design and engineer solutions based on those products and technologies and work with other engineering teams to gather and evaluate requirements, propose designs to meet the needs, then engineer that design and work through the delivery of a pilot implementation. You will be accountable for guiding the implementation of these solutions into production environments and for reviewing the design to ensure it remains fit for purpose. You will be the escalation point for operations teams for items that require in depth interaction with vendors. You will also be responsible for creating paths for upgrades and migrations from existing solutions to newer ones, and will pay special attention to creating solutions that support such pathways.
You will use your expertise to evaluate new products (third party as well as potential in-house development) to continue to progress our capabilities. This will include setting up lab environments; installing and configuring products; performing proof of concept evaluations; generating architecture and engineering documentation; resolving conflicts in design; providing demonstrations and initial hand off with build and operate teams; and assisting in coordinating implementation with other teams such as networking, storage, monitoring, operations, capacity, and support.
This role requires extensive hands-on experience with installation and setup of VMware vSphere products as well as and installation, configuration, integration and functional testing of third party products.
You will be highly skilled and experienced with: VMware vSphere 5.x (moving to 6.x); VMware vSphere Autodeploy; VMware vCenter; security management; configuration management; data center networking; storage; workflows, VMware appliance model and their automation toolsets. You will be accomplished in delivering high quality solutions, documentation, presentations and analyses under time and cost constraints. You will have experience with coordinating and leading other teams to meet your objectives and be adept at keeping multiple projects moving forward at the same time. You will have a good understanding of API based automation between systems (e.g. REST / SOAP)
This role will be responsible for evaluation, testing, qualifying and contribution to the product selection for existing and future requirements. Industry knowledge of server, network and storage components along with the understanding of their impact on system performance is required.
- Development and presentation of initial concept, architectural draft, supporting documentations (engineering design,working instructions, BOM, test plans, proposals, pattern standards, proposals, TCO analysis) to the appropriate teams
- Coordination of testing tasks with the upstack OS teams (Windows, Linux and virtualization), Integrating with the Supply chains, datacenter teams and working with the Operations team to assist in the automation of the maintenance and remediation of the running estate
- A solid understanding of enterprise scale component failure Management/Monitoring/Alerting technics, general storage technologies (SAN/NAS/local), hardware platform security, scripting (Java, Python, Perl, etc..) and automation principals
- Help to define, engineer, test and deploy a world class Hosting platform that is automated and scalable across vendors, datacenters and is OS agnostic.
- Identify and qualify new hardware and component vendors and models
- Understand the impact of new technologies to the compute landscape, how they should be utilized and when is the appropriate time to adopt them
- Learn our process and procedures including release management, production integration services and product supply chain
- Help to enhance the HW API stack to enable vendor neutrality and drive a true commodity mindset
- Certification of new or existing products used on Linux, Windows and VMWare
- Manage and prioritize with other team members, support and enhancement requests
- Collaborate with and escalate to OS Engineering and Support teams to resolve issues when needed to investigate, triage, and debug hardware and system level issues down to component / firmware level
- Respond to hardware/software Cyber related events and requests quickly and urgently
- Maintain and document core standards and procedures by maintaining and extending documentation on our customer facing sites (Wiki, SharePoint, etc..)
- Propose new concepts/solutions or research projects to team and engineering teams
- Collaborate with other teams and customers to identify requirements, align with existing service offerings and the development of new solutions or services
- The ideal candidate will have 5+ years of common compute HW and VMware ESX engineering and architecture experience in large, distributed IT environment. Candidate should have experience with large numbers of smaller deployments
- Bachelor's degree or the equivalent in Computer Science, Engineering or related technical field.
- The ideal candidate will have 5+ years of common compute HW and VMware ESX engineering and architecture
- Extensive hands-on experience as a senior virtualization engineer (spanning OS, virtualization. automation, storage, networking and compute)
- Experience with enterprise class IT tools
• In depth experience with VMware vSphere Products or KVM
• Strong hands on experience with architecture, design, installation and configuration of IT infrastructure components in large and complex environments
- Good understanding of Red Hat Enterprise Linux and Windows Enterprise Server
- Advanced level understanding of x86 Hardware, components, BIOS/Firmware management
- Good understanding of Bash, Python, PERL, Shell Scripting, PowerShell, Java , Java Scripts and vendor APIs
- Detailed understanding of source code management practices (GIT/SVN)
• Strong hands on experience with architecture, design, installation and configuration of IT infrastructure components in large and complex environments.
- Strong understanding of storage technologies including: approaches to data protection, software defined storage, general understanding of enterprise Arrays, SAN fabrics and switching concepts
• Experience with designing, writing, modifying and debugging complex scripts and/or workflows to automate routine product management admin
• Demonstrated ability to deliver solutions that are resilient, repeatable and scalable
• Experience with vendor provided APIs
• Ability to work under pressure and multi-task appropriately prioritizing deliverables against timeframe
• Must have excellent verbal and written skills being able to communicate effectively on both a technical and business level
• Excellent attention to detail
• The ability to analyze detailed business requirements, raise questions and seek resolution to outstanding clarifications required for test case identification
• Excellent work ethic and team ethics
• Strong time management skills and the ability to prioritize one's own work
• Strong understanding of the operational impact of design choices
- Demonstrated ability to gather and interpret both technical and business requirements
- Strong communication skills - written and verbal
- Technical writing and documentation skills
- Ability to provide strong technical and developmental guidance to team members- Good team ethics
- Know what it takes to make a successful team
- Good analytical and problem solving skills
- Good understanding of Configuration Management and strong skills with Ansible, CFEngine, Puppet or similar configuration management tools
- Ability to work and communicate well with a global engineering team, support and customer base
- Ability to innovate and evolve solutions
- Ability to provide strong technical and developmental guidance to team members
- Ability to understand and assist Project managers in planning efforts
Sign in to our application system to continue your job search.
Current employees sign in here.