Legal – Assistant General Counsel, Executive Director / Vice President – Office of the Secretary (China, APAC)
JPMorgan Chase & Co. (NYSE: JPM) is a leading global financial services firm with assets of $2.6 trillion and operations worldwide. The firm is a leader in investment banking, financial services for consumers and small business, commercial banking, financial transaction processing, and asset management. A component of the Dow Jones Industrial Average, JPMorgan Chase & Co. serves millions of consumers in the United States and many of the world's most prominent corporate, institutional and government clients under its J.P. Morgan and Chase brands. Information about JPMorgan Chase & Co. is available at www.jpmorganchase.com
The Legal Department of JPM is responsible for the provision of legal services to the firm. The department also includes the Office of the Secretary.
The Office of the Secretary, headed by the Corporate Secretary who reports to the firm's General Counsel, partners with senior management, directors, control groups, LOBs and corporate units to promote effective and consistent governance of the firm, its branches, subsidiaries and affiliates (each, an “Entity”). The team also maintains the legal good standing status of these Entities in the required jurisdictions with responsibility for various regulatory reporting in all locations.
The role and key responsibilities:
The Legal Department of JPM is seeking a highly motivated and experienced individual to join us as a senior member of the Office of the Secretary. You will be based in China, reporting directly or indirectly to the Head of the Office of the Secretary for Asia Pacific. You will be a trusted advisor to senior management and boards of directors of J.P. Morgan's businesses, subsidiaries and affiliates across Asia Pacific, providing corporate governance counsel and support. You will have the opportunity to take on, among other things, the following key responsibilities:
• Governance responsibilities. These include:
o promoting and driving consistent standards for legal entity governance that support the firm’s strategic objectives;
o providing guidance and oversight for these items to non-Legal corporate secretaries in accordance with internal model and standards;
o providing directors, senior management and legal entities with advice, support and training across corporate governance matters, including in relation to relevant laws and regulations, governance practices and legal entity management; and
o advising and assisting, as appropriate, with resolution and recovery plan related matters and other local, regional and global projects.
• Board related matters. These include:
o organizing board and board committee meetings;
o advising on governance matters requiring board attention;
o advising directors on their legal duties and on board governance practices;
o advising on, organizing and implementing director orientation and continuing education; and
o advising and assisting with regulatory requirements.
• Legal entity related matters. These include:
o maintaining corporate records and certifications;
o advising on corporate procedures and record retention, as relates to governance matters; and
o advising on inter-affiliate service agreements and managing certain regulatory filings.
• University graduate in Law or related discipline
• Qualified lawyer in China or comparable qualifications.
• Sound knowledge of company law and corporate governance and regulatory framework governing financial services businesses
• Minimum 10 years (for ED) or 7 years (for VP) of relevant legal, corporate governance or comparable experience
• Experience in regulatory reporting/filing is an advantage
• Ability to work as a collaborative and proactive member of a team
• Must be meticulous, organized and take pride in your work
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and within tight deadlines
• Strong interpersonal, presentation and communication skills
• Ability to build good working relationships with multiple stakeholders
• Excellent written and spoken English and Chinese is imperative
Attorneys must be licensed to practice law and a member in good standing in the state/jurisdiction in which the position is based or otherwise in compliance with the in-house counsel registration rules of that state/jurisdiction.
Sign in to our application system to continue your job search.
Current employees sign in here.