J.P. Morgan Asset & Wealth Management, with client assets of $2.4 trillion, is a global leader in investment and wealth management. Its clients include institutions, high-net-worth individuals and retail investors in every major market throughout the world. The division offers investment management across all major asset classes including equities, fixed income, alternatives, multi-asset and money market funds. For individual investors, the business also provides retirement products and services, brokerage and banking services including trusts and estates, loans, mortgages and deposits.
About the Alternative Investments Group
Within the J.P. Morgan Private Bank, the Alternative Investments Group (“AIG”) consists of experienced professionals based in New York, Hong Kong, London and Geneva whose goal is to identify, develop, and bring to J.P. Morgan’s private clients a diverse array of attractive alternative investment opportunities. The team looks broadly across private equity, real estate and hedge funds, and since inception in 1992, has brought over 250 investment opportunities to J.P. Morgan’s private clients, endowments and foundations. With over $60 billion of client capital invested across hedge funds, private equity and real estate opportunities, the team brings a unique perspective and best in class approach to sourcing, structuring, developing, and offering alternative investment opportunities.
Description of Position
This is a team manager role that encompasses full responsibility for the Alternatives Product Development team. The team rolls up into the Solutions Product Development organization that sits within Capital Markets Solutions, supports the AIG, and is responsible for managing the product development or product improvement life cycle including cultivation of the business case, functional and financial specifications, operating models, organizational roles and responsibilities and governance models for all products within the hedge fund, private equity fund, and Global Access Portfolios (“GAP”) platform within Wealth Management. The team is focused on delivering strategic, high impact products for our clients. The role requires frequent collaboration with key stakeholder groups including portfolio management, structuring, compliance, legal, operations, risk, fund controllers, marketing, investor relations, oversight & control, and other asset class product managers.
The Alternatives Product Development team manager will be responsible for assisting and leading efforts in the following areas:
- New Portfolio and Business Initiatives for Alternatives products – Research market and competitive landscape, develop new products and business models through the full lifecycle (idea generation, business case development, defining roles and responsibilities, creation of new operating models, execution and implementation)
- Process Enhancement for Alternatives products – Enhance the overall business and operating model; Recommend and execute change; Build out the regulatory & governance framework; Identify risks / gaps related to the end-to-end transaction process of the portfolios as well as create enhancements / processes to mitigate risks.
- Tactical and Strategic Technology Initiatives – Assist with the development of new programs, tools, products, and services to make the funds management platform more efficient and robust.
The team may also cover an expanded remit that includes:
- Strategic RIA Channel Enhancements – Driving/implementing consistent RIA connectivity for all new products brought within its purview.
- Strategic Organizational Design and Enhancement – Identify and alleviate organizational blind spots and process inconsistencies across the Solutions Product Development organization.
- Practical understanding of private banking or Asset Management models and delivery
- Understanding of alternatives and asset management/fund-of-funds environments
- Excellent project management skills, ability to multi-task/juggle multiple projects at once
- Clear communicator with exceptional verbal and written skills; an ability to confidently present complex ideas and key messages effectively and in simple terms to others
- High attention to detail and solid analytical skills, especially with Excel, PowerPoint and Word documents
- Entrepreneurial mindset with the ability to think on their feet and be able to apply critical thinking logical/structured framework to situations such as business case development and issues resolution
- Individual must bring a focus on execution and the delivery of measurable results
- Demonstrated ability to manage and develop junior talent
- Minimum 3 – 4 years of experience in product development, project planning, operating model development, program/project management, or consulting in similar areas