What is the JPMorgan Chase Institute?
The JPMorgan Chase Institute is a global think tank dedicated to delivering data-rich analyses and expert insights for the public good. The mission of the JPMorgan Chase Institute is to help decision makers – policymakers, businesses, and nonprofit leaders – appreciate the scale, granularity, diversity, and interconnectedness of the global economic system and use better facts, real-time data, and thoughtful analysis to make smarter decisions to advance global prosperity.
Drawing on JPMorgan Chase’s unique proprietary data, expertise, and market access, the Institute develops analyses and insights on the inner workings of the global economy, frames critical problems, and convenes stakeholders and leading thinkers.
The JPMorgan Chase Institute seeks an economist who will bring the best quantitative social science techniques and management skills to lead and conduct original research using proprietary big data within JPMorgan Chase. This individual will lead efforts to scope and execute new and existing research projects, coach a team of research professionals, and help build the Institute as an organization.
• Identify and prioritize timely and impactful Institute research questions
• Conduct original data analyses using anonymized records of interactions between JP Morgan Chase and its clients; generate key insights quickly, and creatively present those insights for technical and non-technical audiences
• Plan and execute data asset building workstreams in service of future research projects: scope new data requests, review data request requirements, and conduct user test to validate data
• Ground ongoing research in the broader academic and policy literature
• Lead efforts to strengthen the Institute as an organization, including developing and refining processes, and identifying strategic partnerships
• Provide regular direction for team members, including the best sequence and allocation of work across workstreams
• Represent and communicate Institute findings to internal and external audiences; prepare and lead executive-level presentations within the firm as well as to other research organizations and thought leaders.
• Strong background in economics and econometrics
• Prior experience analyzing big data (e.g., 1,000,000+ data points) using R, Stata, or Python, and wrangling big data using database tools like SQL. Familiarity with machine learning and other non-parametric statistical approaches would be a significant plus.
• Demonstrates understanding of the state of the science in consumer finance
• Strong writing skills and ability to synthesize key messages for lay audiences
• Strong Excel and PowerPoint skills and ability to visualize data
• Demonstrates creativity, excellent problem-solving and strategic thinking skills
• Ability to work in a high-performance, professional environment, with quick turn- around times and changing priorities
• Project management experience preferred, ideally within a research setting
• Ability to build relationships across an organization in order to achieve team objectives
• Strong time management skills; ability to develop workplans, set and meet deadlines, and effectively prioritize and delegate work
• PhD or Master’s degree required
• 3+ years of related job experience preferred