The JPMorgan Chase Institute is a global think tank dedicated to delivering data-rich analyses and expert insights for the public good. The mission of the JPMorgan Chase Institute is to help decision makers – policymakers, businesses, and nonprofit leaders – appreciate the scale, granularity, diversity, and interconnectedness of the global economic system and use better facts, real-time data and thoughtful analysis to make smarter decisions to advance global prosperity. Drawing on JPMorgan Chase’s unique proprietary data, expertise, and market access, the Institute develops analyses and insights on the inner workings of the global economy, frames critical problems, and convenes stakeholders and leading thinkers.
The JPMorgan Chase Institute seeks a Research Analyst with a strong quantitative social science background to conduct research that explores the economic interactions between consumers and merchants over time and in space. Using proprietary big data within JPMorgan Chase, the Analyst will use this connection as a lens into micro-level decision making that provides insight into the broader economy. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in quantitative social science, statistics/data science, and computer programming. Furthermore, s/he will have an entrepreneurial and proactive mindset.
• Conduct original or directed data analysis using anonymized records of consumer and business transactions from multiple lines of business.
• Draft, edit, and validate papers, slide decks, and blog posts for internal and external audiences.
• Work with fellow research staff to create cutting-edge analyses, using Institute data alone or in combination with existing publicly-available data.
• Identify promising potential topics for the Institute’s research agenda.
• Contribute to efforts that strengthen the Institute as an organization, including developing and refining protocols, generating analytic tools with Institute-wide application, establishing strategic partnerships, and building the team.
• Quantitative social science research experience is strongly preferred, especially those with experience in R, Stata, Python, Java and/or SQL;
• Strong background in statistics/econometrics/data science, or other related fields oriented around formalization of uncertainty;
• Experience working with data sets too large to be reviewed one record at a time or edited by hand (e.g. greater than 100,000 observations);
• Expertise with big data tools is a plus;
• Strong sense of intellectual curiosity and a desire to learn new techniques, approaches, and tools;
• Strong writing and oral communication skills;
• Ability to work in a high-performance professional environment, with quick turn-around and changing priorities;
• Comfort with uncertainty and an entrepreneurial working context; flexibility to take on new roles and responsibilities as this initiative evolves;
• Creativity, strict observance of compliance and data privacy controls, and a commitment to intellectual rigor;
• Ability to absorb and synthesize large amounts of information and data quickly;
• Capacity to be a team-player and be able to work in small, collaborative environment;
• Bachelor’s or Master’s required.
1. Current resume
2. Cover letter
3. Statistical coding sample (R, Python, SAS, Matlab, Stata, Java, or another language used for statistical computing)
• Writing sample (e.g., recent article, working paper, or class paper) that demonstrates your writing and analytical abilities
• Transcripts (undergraduate and graduate, if applicable)
Not ready to apply? Leave your information with us and we will keep you up to date with new career opportunities.
Sign in to our application system to continue your job search.
Current employees sign in here.
You can also apply using your LinkedIn® profile. It may save you some time because your information will be automatically transferred into our system. Just click on the LinkedIn logo when you get to the application screen and follow the directions.
During the application process, be sure you have an up-to-date copy of your Résumé, your cover letter and any other documentation you would like to submit.