Operational Risk Executive Director/VP – Commercial Banking
Global Real Estate Banking Coverage Liaison
JPMorgan Chase & Co. (NYSE: JPM) is a leading global financial services firm with assets of $2.6 trillion and operations worldwide. The firm is a leader in investment banking, financial services for consumers and small business, commercial banking, financial transaction processing, and asset management. A component of the Dow Jones Industrial Average, JPMorgan Chase & Co. serves millions of consumers in the United States and many of the worlds most prominent corporate, institutional and government clients under its J.P. Morgan and Chase brands. JPMorgan Chase & Co.is committed to providing a comprehensive set of benefits choices to meet different employee needs and lifestyles, which include choices such as Flexible Work Arrangements with periodic work from home and non-standard business hours, fully paid parental leave time, health care insurance and retirement benefits.
Commercial Banking (CB) serves more than 30,000 clients, including corporations, municipalities, financial institutions, and not-for-profit entities with annual revenues generally ranging from $20 million to $2 billion. The Firm's broad platform positions the Commercial Bank to deliver extensive product capabilities - lending, treasury services, investment banking, and asset management - to meet our clients' domestic and international financial needs.
CB Operational Risk Oversight is part of an independent "second line of defense” that will proactively identify potential Operational Risks and ensure adequate controls are in place to guard against financial loss. Through collaboration with Control Contacts and Business Owners from various business areas, this role will help execute the firm’s Operational Risk management framework. This includes assessing the risk facing the business, primarily by means of reviewing: the effectiveness of the control environment; targeted risk areas; scenario analysis; loss event analysis; key risk and performance indicators; RCSAs; audit and regulatory reviews; and, emerging risks/external events.
- Define and execute the approach to the oversight of the Operational Risk Management Framework implementation for coverage area
- Provide independent, objective view of the Business and/or function control environment, mitigation strategies and emerging risk.
- Maintain awareness of risk and control issues within the business / function whether self-identified or from internal /external audit.
- Review internal and external Operational Risk Errors for opportunities to implement new preventive and detective controls.
- Evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of existing controls and provide business direction on opportunities for improvement
- Undertake Targeted and Emerging Risk Assessments across key areas of risk.
- Understand the area’s RCSA, Key Risk & Performance Indicators, and other controls to identify negative trends and potential control gaps.
- Maintain strong business relationships with internal clients and deliver presentations to senior audiences.
- Participate in various Operational Risk and LOB meetings related to operational risk and control matters.
- Develop positive working relationships and act as liaison with Corporate Operational Risk (COR) in order to understand requirements for implementation.
- Foster relationships with the Controls organization in order to ensure effective work alignment, while maintaining a distinction between the first and second line of defense.
- Participate in New Business Initiative assessments as appropriate.
- Provide support for other CB Operational Risk Management functions as appropriate.
- Bachelor’s Degree; MBA or professional certification preferred
- Strong understanding of Operational Risk fundamentals
- Wholesale business experience preferred
- 15+ years’ experience financial industry experience
- 10+ years in Operational Risk Management or similar discipline of risk identification and management
- Ability to collaborate with business and functional experts to provide risk assessment guidance, recognize risks and design enhancements
- Ability to influence, negotiate, and lead change
- Strong decision making, analytical, and creative thinking skills
- High level of professionalism, self-motivation, and sense of urgency
- Strong Teamwork and communication (written and verbal) skills
- Robust organizational, project management and multi-tasking skills with demonstrated ability to manage expectations and deliver results
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint
The final officer title and job grade is at the discretion of the firm and will be discussed at the time of offer. It may be different than what is listed on the requisition based on candidate experience level.
Not ready to apply? Leave your information with us and we will keep you up to date with new career opportunities.
Sign in to our application system to continue your job search.
Current employees sign in here.
You can also apply using your LinkedIn® profile. It may save you some time because your information will be automatically transferred into our system. Just click on the LinkedIn logo when you get to the application screen and follow the directions.
During the application process, be sure you have an up-to-date copy of your Résumé, your cover letter and any other documentation you would like to submit.