This is a unique and exciting opportunity to join a growth team in newly formed department within JP Morgan Asset Management, Glasgow. The Core Components and Architecture team has been formed in order to develop common services and user interfaces that will be utilised to maintain and distribute core data across Asset Management. The role is under the securities & pricing domain and is embarking on a multi-year re-write of the existing product suite using both innovative development technologies and best-of-breed automation toolsets to allow true continuous delivery.
What makes this unique is this the fact that this department that has been set up by Developers as opposed to the typical ‘people managers’, the focus from senior managers down to graduate is on hands on development with a focus on quality and delivery, utilising practices such as TDD, continuous integration, it’s the actual developers that decide what best to use, managers in this department are seen as more of a support function.
Also as there is such a heavy focus on expert development, there is a new career path for anyone wanting to stay in hands on development that can take you to the most senior level (Managing Director) in the organisation without having to become an Architect or people manager.
A secondary remit of this group is to develop software in such a way that they would be seen as role models and could coach across the organisation. The approach and tooling being utilised throughout will utilise Agile techniques and has 100% commitment from senior leaders that it will be implemented in the way the Developers see fit rather than some project manager driving this!
The department has the following set of core values and culture they work towards.
- Individual empowerment (reduced hurdles and overhead), quality and continuous improvement built into team's culture
- Conscious effort to build a simple architecture and leverage reusable components / services
- Targeted use of a cloud based application landscape using 12-factor Application Principles
- Team-first attitude along with trust; support each other to upgrade skills
- Standard methodologies with "minimum requirements" clearly articulated
- Co-located team with workspace and tools for closer collaboration
- Targeted training to impart new tech. skills and methodology knowledge
- Strong Tech. leadership that understands the different AD functions, stakeholders and their interests
Technology & Experience:
The team is looking for all levels of experience; financial knowledge is not a pre requisite.
The attitude and behaviors of the candidate are more important than expertise in a particular library or framework, so if you don’t tick all the boxes in the technologies listed but you are passionate about technology, willingness to learn and delivery focused then please feel free to still apply, focused and passionate individuals will get up to speed very quickly on any technology.
Technology Currently Utilized
- Java 8 – The services written are based on Java utilizing Jersey in order to provide the Web services.
- REST - Our current service implementation approach is based on REST.
- Angular JS –Looking to utilize Angular for the first of the User Interfaces we develop.
- Spring Boot – for applying modern Sprint dev practices.
- Drools – best-of-breed rules engine implementation.
- Jenkins/Maven/Nexus – This is our continuous integration stack we utilize various testing tools:
- JUnit/Cucumber/Jasmine – Some of the tolls we use for the different levels of testing.